tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Phase I Archaeological Survey of 4,147.1 acres, and Phase II Site Evaluations at 8HG24, 8HG767, and 8PO3405, Avon Park Air Force Range, Polk and Highlands Counties, Avon Park, Florida

Author(s): Headquarters Air Combat Command ; Parsons Engineering Science, Inc.

Year: 2005

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

In 2004, Headquarters Air Combat Command (HQ ACC) conducted a Phase I archaeological survey and Phase II evaluations at three previously documented sites within the boundaries of Avon Park Air Force Range (APAFR). Between January 5, 2004 and February 27, 2004, a pedestrian and shovel test survey was completed of approximately 4,147.1 acres (1,678.3 ha) in the central part of the property. The acreage was stratified as high, medium, and low probability areas, as defined by a previously prepared predictive model. High probability areas comprised 551.8 ac (223.3 ha), or 13 percent of the total acreage; medium probability areas comprised 1,714.5 ac (693.9 ha), or 41 percent of the acreage; and low probability areas comprised 1,880.8 ac (761.2 ha), or 46 percent of the acreage. In total, 5,236 shovel test pits were excavated at varying intervals within these survey areas. The Phase I survey resulted in the identification of five new sites: Clark’s Point (8HG1094), Lost Crew (8HG1096), Seaboard Airline Railway (8HG1095/8PO6785), Big Drink (8PO6782), and Stalking Gator (8PO6784). In addition, supplemental data was recorded for one previously identified but undocumented site, Zechiel Bell (8PO6783). Of the sites documented in the survey, two—Seaboard Airline Railway (8HG1095/8PO6785) and Zechiel Bell (8PO6783)—are recommended potentially eligible to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). These sites should be avoided or subjected to further testing to evaluate eligibility. The remaining sites—Clark’s Point (8HG1094), Lost Crew (8HG1096), Big Drink (8PO6782), and Stalking Gator (8PO6784)—are recommended not eligible to the NRHP. Subsequently, between March 1, 2004, and March 26, 2004, Phase II evaluations were conducted at the three previously recorded sites—Sandy Hill Turpentine Camp (8HG24), Big Jahn (8HG767), and Scrub Jay (8PO3405). The work included detailed mapping, the excavation of nineteen 1 m x 2 m test units, the collection of three soil columns for special analysis, and laboratory analysis of all recovered artifacts. Based on the evaluations, the Sandy Hill Turpentine Camp (8HG24) and the Scrub Jay Site (8PO3405) are recommended eligible for nomination to the NRHP. The Big Jahn Site (8HG767) is recommended potentially eligible to the NRHP.


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

Phase I Archaeological Survey of 4,147.1 acres, and Phase II Site Evaluations at 8HG24, 8HG767, and 8PO3405, Avon Park Air Force Range, Polk and Highlands Counties, Avon Park, Florida. Headquarters Air Combat Command, Parsons Engineering Science, Inc.. Avon Park, Florida: Avon Park Air Force Range. 2005 ( tDAR id: 391178) ; doi:10.6067/XCV82J6CS4


Keywords


Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: -3000 to -1000 (Florida Archaic Stemmed point)

Calendar Date: -5000 to -3000 (Newnan projectile point)

Calendar Date: 200 to 800 (Belle Glade ceramic sherds)

Calendar Date: -7000 to -6000 (Kirk Corner-Notched Point)


Spatial Coverage

min long: -81.415; min lat: 27.522 ; max long: -81.132; max lat: 27.739 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Kathy Couturier

Contributor(s): Johnna Thackston ; Peg Margosian ; Edwin Hajic

Landowner(s): United States Air Force

Sponsor(s): United States Air Force Air Combat Command

Permitting Agency(s): United States Air Force Air Combat Command

Repository(s): Avon Park Air Force Range

Prepared By(s): Parsons Engineering Science, Inc.

Submitted To(s): Avon Park Air Force Range ; Moody Air Force Base


Record Identifiers

Avon Park Air Force Range Report No.(s): AP0017

Notes

Redaction Note: If you would like access to the full document, you may request it from Avon Park CRM: Kathy Courturier; email: kathy.couturier.ctr@us.af.mil; phone: (863) 452-4288


File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
2005_4-4147-1_acres_parsons.pdf 8.70mb Aug 26, 2013 11:32:01 AM Confidential
2005_4-4147-1_acres_parsons_redacted.pdf 6.47mb Oct 24, 2013 11:44:40 AM Public
This document is redacted. USAF archaeologists and officials have determined that some of the information in the full document should be considered confidential and have limited distribution. If you would like access to the full document, you may contact and request access from Avon Park CRM: Kathy Courturier kathy.couturier.ctr@us.af.mil (863) 452-4288

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): Kathy Couturier

Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America