An Archaeological Investigation of Buckeye Hills East, Maricopa County, Arizona
Author(s): James B. Rodgers
The following report discusses archaeological data recently retrieved by Arizona State University through an intensive survey of Buckeye Hills East in south-central Arizona. The specific project area lies south of Buckeye, Arizona, and involves a small portion of the extensive Greenbelt Planning Unit (BLM). The project, initiated by the Bureau of Land Management, was undertaken and completed in compliance with Executive Order 11593 and involved an explicit attempt to develop general management recommendations for cultural resources within the larger Greenbelt Planning Unit.
Buckeye Hills East is situated south of the Gila River and encompasses primarily an upper bajada zone which was exploited seasonally by the prehistoric inhabitants for its available plant resources. Culturally, this area was dominated by a local Hohokam group whose occupancy is dated tentatively between A.D. 400-1250. Subsequent influences are recognized from Lower Colorado River Yuman groups and historic Papago. Cultural materials were recorded at 201 discreet loci, and 20 individual sites are considered eligible for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places. These include a temporary domestic unit, a composite set of aboriginal trails, a large food processing center, lithic workshops (3), petroglyph loci (3), several collecting-gathering camps (9), a dual component site, and a unique prehistoric-historic canal. The recorded canal system represents a significant Hohokam agricultural feature. It is composed of several individual sections which head from intermittent drainages, and its effective use, therefore, would have been determined exclusively by local rather than regional environmental factors.
Cite this Record
An Archaeological Investigation of Buckeye Hills East, Maricopa County, Arizona. James B. Rodgers. 1976 ( tDAR id: 428104) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8428104
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
AZ T:10:19 (ASU) • AZ T:10:20 (ASU) • AZ T:10:21 (ASU) • AZ T:10:22 (ASU) • AZ T:10:23 (ASU) • AZ T:10:24 (ASU) • AZ T:10:25 (ASU) • AZ T:10:26 (ASU) • AZ T:10:27 (ASU) • AZ T:10:29 (ASU) • AZ T:10:30 (ASU) • AZ T:10:31 (ASU) • AZ T:10:32 (ASU) • AZ T:10:33 (ASU) • AZ T:10:34 (ASU) • AZ T:10:35 (ASU) • AZ T:10:36 (ASU) • AZ T:10:37 (ASU) • AZ T:10:38 (ASU)
Agricultural or Herding • Archaeological Feature • Canal or Canal Feature • Domestic Structure or Architectural Complex • Domestic Structures • Encampment • Farm House • Hearth • Petroglyph • Resource Extraction / Production / Transportation Structure or Features • Road, Trail, and Related Structures or Features • Rock Art • Rock Ring • Rock Shelter • Settlements • Shrine • Trail
Reconnaissance / Survey
min long: -112.807; min lat: 33.263 ; max long: -112.332; max lat: 33.454 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Richard Anduze
Principal Investigator(s): Donald E. Weaver, Jr.
Project Director(s): James B. Rodgers
Prepared By(s): Arizona State University (ASU)
Submitted To(s): U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management
Anthropological Research Paper No.(s): 10
SRP Library Barcode No.(s): 00030768
BLM Contract No.(s): 52500-CTS-1091; 52500-CTS-1091 - Mod. No. 2; 52500-CTS-1091 - Mod. No. 1
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|1976_Rodgers_AnArchaeologicalBuckeye_OCR.pdf||61.59mb||Jan 1, 1976||Jun 30, 2017 3:18:45 PM||Confidential|
|This file is unredacted.|