Ironclads and Indian Mounds: The U.S. Mississippi River Squadron Naval Base at Mound City, Illinois
From 1862-1865 Mound City, Illinois, on the Ohio River was the home of the 200 ship strong Union Navy Mississippi River Squadron that broke the southern stranglehold on the Mississippi River. Commanded by Commodore Foote and Admiral Porter, the naval base played a crucial role in constructing and repairing armored ships throughout the war. Base facilites included a shipways, foundry, carpenters shop, storehouses, and hospital. The only visible remnants of the base today are portions of the wooden "ways" used to launch and repair the vessels of the fleet. In 2013 SIU researchers created a GIS map that revealed the locations of the base structures, a prehistoric Indian mound, and the probable location of Admiral Porter's burned flagship, the "Black Hawk", for the first time. Subsequent archaeological survey of these areas recovered historic artifacts potentially associated with the naval base as well as prehistoric artifacts possibly associated with "Big Mound".
Cite this Record
Ironclads and Indian Mounds: The U.S. Mississippi River Squadron Naval Base at Mound City, Illinois. Go Matsumoto, Mark Wagner. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Seattle, Washington. 2015 ( tDAR id: 433833)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;