From Big House to Farm House: 100 Years at Arcadia Mill's Simpson Lot
Author(s): Adrianne B Sams
The Simpson House at Arcadia Mill Archaeological Site in northwest Florida represents the high-status residence within a multi-ethnic antebellum community organized by hierarchy, race, and possibly gender. On a bluff overlooking the water-powered mill complex, the big house consisted of a three-story Louisiana-style mansion with a brick basement, veranda and main floor, and a second story. The Simpson House was constructed ca. 1835 and survived the Civil War including a short occupation by Confederate troops, but succumbed to a fire on 1 March, 1935. Recent archaeological excavations of the house coupled with a detailed oral history provide preliminary data regarding 19th-century architecture, material culture associated with a 100 year occupation, and the complementary nature of the documentary and archaeological records.
Cite this Record
From Big House to Farm House: 100 Years at Arcadia Mill's Simpson Lot. Adrianne B Sams. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Seattle, Washington. 2015 ( tDAR id: 433966)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;