A Comparative Analysis of a Potential Tavern Site in Jackson, North Carolina
Author(s): Katherine D. Thomas
Residents of Jackson, North Carolina in Northampton County have found what they believe to be an 18th century tavern site. The area was inhabited by the Tuscarora until the Tuscarora War ended in 1715, after which European settlers began to move into the region. The residents of Jackson believe this to be a tavern owned by Jeptha Atherton. This research assesses this claim by comparing those artifacts to the artifacts at two other contemporary taverns: Dudley’s Tavern in Halifax, North Carolina and Wetherburn’s Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg. This will also provide a chance to create an artifact pattern for North Carolina’s colonial taverns.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
A Comparative Analysis of a Potential Tavern Site in Jackson, North Carolina. Katherine D. Thomas. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Seattle, Washington. 2015 ( tDAR id: 434071)
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;