Hanna’s Town: The Site, Its History, and Its Archaeology
Author(s): Ben L. Ford
Hanna’s Town, the first English court west of the Allegheny Mountains, was an important political and economic center in western Pennsylvania from 1769 until it was burned by a party of Seneca and English in 1782. After its destruction, the site was farmed for 150 years before it was acquired by Westmoreland County and placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Over the past four decades a variety of professional, academic, and amateur archaeologists have excavated the site, generating approximately 1,000,000 artifacts and tens of linear feet of notes and records. Since 2011, students and faculty from Indiana University of Pennsylvania have worked to convert these data to digital formats and to begin analyzing the existing collection.
Cite this Record
Hanna’s Town: The Site, Its History, and Its Archaeology. Ben L. Ford. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Washington, D.C. 2016 ( tDAR id: 434469)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;