Historical Archaeology of the Marsh Sugar Plantation, Avery Island, Louisiana
Author(s): David T. Palmer
The Marsh Plantation was a sugar plantation on Avery Island, Louisiana, established in 1818 by northeastern transplants John Marsh and William Stone. Enslaved and "indentured" African Americans were brought from New York and New Jersey by the partners to work the sugar fields and mill. Through two field seasons, we learned more about the lives of the enslaved and free people, as well as the early sugar industry in Louisiana. Issues of heritage tourism, namely, the elision of slavery and the contributions of African Americans from Avery Island presentations, was also highlighted and explored through this project.
Cite this Record
Historical Archaeology of the Marsh Sugar Plantation, Avery Island, Louisiana. David T. Palmer. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Washington, D.C. 2016 ( tDAR id: 434720)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;