The International Boundary Commission Monuments – 1848 to Today.
After the Mexican – American War (1846-1848) the International Boundary Commission (IBC) was formed. In 1944, this changed to International Boundary and Water Commission (IBWC) and its counterpart la Comisión Internacional de Límites y Aguas (CILA) due to evolving regulatory duties along the U.S. – Mexico Border for both Sections. Since the inception of the formal IBC in 1889, the present International Border from the Pacific Ocean to El Paso, Texas has increased to 276 international border monuments. For land management along the Rio Grande River border with Mexico, additional survey monuments were installed from El Paso to the Gulf of Mexico. This presentation discusses the role of the Commission, border monuments and archeology along the International Border from San Diego, California to the Gulf of Mexico. Further discussion will tailor on the nomination process for a National Register Linear Historic District for the land monuments from El Paso to San Diego.
Cite this Record
The International Boundary Commission Monuments – 1848 to Today.. Mark L Howe, David Camarena Garcés. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Fort Worth, TX. 2017 ( tDAR id: 435244)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Society for Historical Archaeology