Peaches Preserved: The Archaeology and Preservation of Peachtree Plantation, St. James Santee Parish, South Carolina
Author(s): Kendy Altizer
Peachtree Plantation is a 481 acre parcel of land situated on the South Santee River in St. James Santee Parish, South Carolina approximately 45 miles north of Charleston. The property contains remnants of colonial rice culture and the ruin of a piano-noble style, Georgian Palladian, two-story house. Peachtree, owned by the Lynch Family who were prominent Lowcountry rice planters and politicians, was cultivated as early as 1738; however, the main house was built between 1760 and 1762. In 1840, while under tenancy, the house burned and was never reconstructed.
The original Peachtree parcel can be considered part of the colonial Carolina frontier because of its distance from Charleston, the principal southern hub, which is approximately 10 hours by horse and carriage. This poster will present archaeological investigations of the house ruins and dependencies. The history of the Peachtree property, its preservation plan, and recent stabilization efforts will also be included.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
Peaches Preserved: The Archaeology and Preservation of Peachtree Plantation, St. James Santee Parish, South Carolina. Kendy Altizer. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Fort Worth, TX. 2017 ( tDAR id: 435558)
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;