A Reevaluation of the Excavations at George Washington's Blacksmith Shop

Author(s): Lily Carhart

Year: 2018

Summary

The blacksmith shop at George Washington’s Mount Vernon is situated roughly 200 ft. north of the mansion house and was extant in that location from at least 1762 through Washington’s death in 1799. This period featured multiple reorganizations of the grounds and dependencies, in particular the area between the mansion and the blacksmith shop was converted from a work yard to the formal North Grove. The remains of the blacksmith shop and related archaeological features have been excavated on five separate occasions from as early as 1930 through 2007. The most extensive excavation occurred in 1987, but it was of limited scope. This study seeks to reevaluate these excavations focusing on the spatial and temporal relationships between the blacksmith shop and the surrounding landscape, including the impact of changing production methods and whether the archeological evidence supports our current interpretation that the North Grove was transformed to a formal space.

Cite this Record

A Reevaluation of the Excavations at George Washington's Blacksmith Shop. Lily Carhart. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Albuquerque, NM. 2018 ( tDAR id: 441458)

This Resource is Part of the Following Collections

Keywords

Spatial Coverage

min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Society for Historical Archaeology

Record Identifiers

PaperId(s): 686