Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Recovering Three Cemeteries From the Outer Boroughs
HPI studied the Northern Cemetery of the Staten Island Quarantine Grounds, where patients from the Marine Hospital were buried in the mid-nineteenth century. The stories of immigrant inmates and caregivers at the facility provide a glimpse of the desperation experienced by those confined within. In 1858, nearby residents burned the Quarantine buildings to the ground to rid the community of "pestilence" and "miasma" associated with the hospital. HPI disinterred intact and partial burials from the cemetery, leaving a large section undisturbed as a memorial park. HPI also studied two contiguous cemeteries in the Bronx: the Hedger-Edwards Cemetery (1769-late 19th c.) and the Dutch Reformed Church of West Farms Cemetery (1845-1891). Both lay hidden 50+ years beneath asphalt. Redevelopment plans led to archaeological testing; excavations removed more than 88 complete and partial burials, associated artifacts, and gravestones. The stories of those disinterred were brought to life, with descendants rediscovering their ancestors.
Cite this Record
Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Recovering Three Cemeteries From the Outer Boroughs. Faline Schneiderman, Sara Mascia. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Albuquerque, NM. 2018 ( tDAR id: 441753)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Society for Historical Archaeology