Old Mobile (1MB94) Structure 01, Mobile County, Alabama.
Structure 1 at the Old Mobile site (1MB94) was first noted for its raised earthen floor. Several similar features were visible in the forested, unplowed, western half of the townsite. Complete excavation in 1989 revealed the building to have been built using poteaux-sur-sole, or post on sill, construction. This building had a large central room with three joists supporting a wooden floor. On each end was a smaller room, one of which shared a double-hearth chimney with the central room. The long axis of the building aligns to about 40 degrees west of north, which coincides with the street grid depicted on the two historic maps of the town. The artifact assemblage associated with this building suggests it functioned as a private residence. The most unusual artifacts recovered from Structure 1 are five lead cloth seals stamped with the abbreviated name of the Company of the Indies of France and the date 1701.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
Old Mobile (1MB94) Structure 01, Mobile County, Alabama.. ( tDAR id: 380900) ; doi:10.6067/XCV80R9QTJ
Data Recovery / Excavation • Heritage Management • Historic Background Research • Reconnaissance / Survey • Remote Sensing • Research Design / Data Recovery Plan • Site Evaluation / Testing • Site Stewardship Monitoring
Calendar Date: 1702 to 1711
min long: -88.026; min lat: 30.942 ; max long: -87.971; max lat: 30.983 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Project Director(s): Gregory Waselkov
2004.077(s): Accession Number
|University of South Alabama Center for Archaeological Studies Old Mobile Collection 2004.077|
|University of South Alabama Archaeology Museum Old Mobile Collection 2004.077|
Related Comparative Collections
|University of South Alabama Center for Archaeological Studies Port Dauphin Village Collection 1997.005|