Modoc Rock Shelter Site, IL (11R5) 1953 Excavation Project
The 1953 excavation at Modoc Rock Shelter (11R5) was directed by Howard D. Winters and sponsored by the University of Chicago and the Illinois State Museum. Winters excavated two areas. An L-shaped area in the central portion of the Main Shelter area - was excavated in arbitrary 6-inch levels down to bedrock at a depth of about 19 feet below the post-road fill removal ground surface, or circa 118.72 m AMSL). The other area, which was located at the edge of the West Pillar, was excavated from original ground surface to about 16 feet below original ground surface, or circa 121.61 m AMSL).
The 1953 faunal remains from the Central Pit and the West Pillar areas were initially identified by Paul W. Parmalee of the Illinois State Museum. In 1980, Karli White and Bonnie Styles (Illinois State Museum) re-examined the 1953 identifications, augmented the identifications, and entered them into a database.
Cite this Record
Modoc Rock Shelter Site, IL (11R5) 1953 Excavation Project. ( tDAR id: 398932) ; doi:10.6067/XCV85M679X
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Modoc Rock Shelter (11R5)
min long: -90.106; min lat: 38.029 ; max long: -90.057; max lat: 38.053 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Bonnie Styles
Repository(s): Illinios State Museum
Illinois State Museum