tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Arizona (State / Territory) (Geographic Keyword)

1-25 (7,188 Records)

 1,000 Bottles of Wine in the Ground, 1,000 Bottles of Wine: The Preservation of early 20th century Italian Heritage at the John Bradford House (2013)

Citation DOCUMENT [ID: 428722] Sara E. Belkin.

In 1919, the production of intoxicating beverages was legally prohibited in the United States. However, excavations in the 1970s at the John Bradford House in Kingston, MA indicate that its inhabitants at the turn-of-the-century were consuming large quantities of wine, champagne, and hard liquor. These bottles were consumed and then discarded at a time when the consumption of alcohol was considered immoral by the American middle class. This paper will explore the meaning behind the presence of...


10 Days making Anasazi-style pottery (2014)

Citation DOCUMENT [ID: 425310] Kelly Magelby.

This resource is a citation record only, the Center for Digital Antiquity does not have a copy of this document. The information in this record has been migrated into tDAR from the EXARC Bibliography, originally compiled by Roeland Paardekooper, and updated. Most of these records consist of a document citation and other metadata but do not have the documents themselves uploaded. If you have a digital copy of the document and would like to have it curated in tDAR, please contact us using the...


10-Mile Draw Petroglyphs Arizona Site Steward File (2000)

DOCUMENT [ID: 400817] Uploaded by: Brittany Clark

This is an Arizona Site Steward file for the 10-Mile Draw Petroglyphs, comprised of petroglyphs, located on State Trust land. The file consists of a site data form and scale drawings of the petroglyph panels. The earliest dated document is from 1993.


A 1500's Lenape Indian Village (1994)

Citation DOCUMENT [ID: 419003] Chris Stieber. Cindy Dickert. David Wescott.

This resource is a citation record only, the Center for Digital Antiquity does not have a copy of this document. The information in this record has been migrated into tDAR from the EXARC Bibliography, originally compiled by Roeland Paardekooper, and updated. Most of these records consist of a document citation and other metadata but do not have the documents themselves uploaded. If you have a digital copy of the document and would like to have it curated in tDAR, please contact us using the...


A 1611 Blockhouse and Earthworks for the Protection of Cattle: Virginia’s Earliest Bovine Husbandry, near Jamestown (2017)

Citation DOCUMENT [ID: 435279] Alain C. Outlaw.

From the earliest years of the English colonization of Virginia, Bos taurus played a significant role in settlement as a source of meat, dairy products, and draft power. Following the "Starving Time" winter of 1609/1610, when everything wild and domestic that could be eaten was consumed, including human flesh, on-the-hoof animals, as opposed to barreled beef, entered the colony.  These animals soon were being taken by Native Americans.  Thus, upon his arrival in May 1611, Sir Thomas Dale ordered...


The 1725 Nuestra Señora de Begoña: Ongoing Investigations of a Spanish Merchant Fragata and Cultural Conservation Strategies in La Caleta de Caucedo, Dominican Republic (2013)

Citation DOCUMENT [ID: 428294] Matthew J Maus. Charles D Beeker.

On 21 May 1725 the Spanish merchant vessel Nuestra Señora de Begoña wrecked in La Caleta de Caucedo on the south coast of Hispaniola.  While there was no loss of life, contemporary legal texts pertaining to the sinking event document the complete loss of ship and cargo, ineffective salvage efforts, and the conviction of its captain for contraband silver.  Indiana University has conducted excavations of the shoreward spillage area of the Nuestra Señora de Begoña since 2010.  Preliminary findings...


1864 Charles Poston, Description of Casa Grande (1963)

DOCUMENT [ID: 371564] Albert H. Schroeder.

This document is letter from Regional Archaeologist Albert Schroeder to the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument Superintendent. This 1864 letter portion is in regard to a communication from Charles Poston, who was the Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Arizona at the time. The letter was sent to Wm. P. Dole who was then the Commissoner of Indian Affairs. It is a general review of the condition of the Great House and a request for funds for excavation.


1892-1992 Centennial, Casa Grande Ruins National Monument

PROJECT [ID: 368334] Uploaded by: alycia hayes

This project contains documents relative to the 1892-1992 centennial of Casa Grande Ruins National Monument including a book and related documents and images from an administratve history of Casa Grande Ruins National Monument prepared by A. Berle Clemensen. Additional Documents include the scanned figures and images used in the publication. These documents were prepared for the National Park Service.


18th Century Stoneware From New Jersey (2016)

Citation DOCUMENT [ID: 435029] William Liebeknecht.

The origins of the New Jersey stoneware industry -- and perhaps even the American stoneware industry -- seem to lie in the late 17th century with an awareness that high-grade clays suitable for making dense, hard, durable pottery were present in the South Amboy area of Middlesex County in the Province of East Jersey.  As early as 1685-86, there are indications in the court records of Burlington County in West Jersey that such clays were known to early settlers.  This clay source was presumably...


18th-Century San Antonio Spanish Colonial Mission Complexes: An Evolution, American Revolution, and Tejano Ranchos1 (2017)

Citation DOCUMENT [ID: 435242] Sergio A. Iruegas.

Recent historical archaeology studies have provided new perspectives of indigenous interaction with Spanish Colonial Missions in the United States. By 1718, Texas colonists were the product of Spanish and native intermarriage for over 200 years before their arrival. Few studies have considered the multicultural aspects’ effect to the historic landscape and archaeological record. An emic perspective of how 18th-Century Tejano Ranchos evolved from the Spanish Mission complex has yet to be...


1917-1930 Administrative Records (2009)

DOCUMENT [ID: 369406] Uploaded by: Tol Cherry

These documents are a collection of administrative correspondence to and from Casa Grande Ruins National Monument between 1917 and 1930.


1926-1930 Pageant at Compound B, Casa Grande Ruins National Monument

PROJECT [ID: 369355] Uploaded by: Tol Cherry

This project includes images, documents and maps regarding yearly pageants held at Compound B at the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument between 1926 through 1930.


1930's Hastings CWA job

PROJECT [ID: 371653] Uploaded by: Tol Cherry

This project is documentation of excavations done at Casa Grande Ruins National Monument by Russell Hastings.


1930-1940 Ruminations of Frank Pinkley, Southwestern Monuments Reports

PROJECT [ID: 368335] Uploaded by: alycia hayes

This project includes compiled and scanned portions of reports from 1930-1940. Frank Pinkley, who was the superintendent of the Southwestern Monuments, frequently added a rumination portion to the Southwestern Monument reports. These ruminations provide a unique look into the personality, insight and sense of humor of Frank Pinkley


1931 Casa Grande Ruins National Monument topographic maps

PROJECT [ID: 368383] Uploaded by: alycia hayes

This project contains hand drawn topographic maps from 1931. Due to the sensitive nature of this data, permission is required to access this data.


1932 Ruins Shelter specifications (1981)

DOCUMENT [ID: 371568] Uploaded by: Tol Cherry

This document is a detailed sketch and description of the shelter built over the Great House at the Casa Grande National Monument. The sketch and description detail the dimensions of the shelter along with materials used and the engineering firm, Allen Bros. Inc., Los Angeles, CA, that installed the shelter. The document also discusses difficulties encountered and the danger of damage to the Great House during construction.


1933 and 1934 Casa Grande Ruins Excavation Photographs (1933)

IMAGE [ID: 372679] Uploaded by: Tol Cherry

These images show various excavations related to the 1933 and 1934 Hastings CWA project at Casa Grande Ruins National Monument. The photographs detail many artifacts discovered along with pit houses. The photographs are poorly documented and do not list provenience of the excavations.


1936 March, Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Southwest Monuments Report, "Throne Room in Clan House.". (1936)

DOCUMENT [ID: 368790] Frank Pinkley.

This report discusses what was thought to be a "Throne" in a clan house at Casa Grande Ruins National Monument.


1948 Stabilization photos of Compound A (1948)

IMAGE [ID: 372135] Uploaded by: Tol Cherry

These images display the 1948 stabilization efforts on outer walls and buildings of Compound A at the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument. Included are photographs of pre-stabilization, during stabilization and post stabilization. The photographs indicate the poor condition of structures prior to stabilization. The photographs also show the use and application of chicken wire to the structures.


1957 Gladwin, Harold Sterling, A History of the Ancient Southwest (1957)

Citation DOCUMENT [ID: 368789] Harold S. Gladwin.

This book regards the histories of the Southwest and its peoples from approximately 200 A.D. to 1450 A.D.


1957-1958 Development Master Plan

PROJECT [ID: 371654] Uploaded by: Tol Cherry

These images are various division master plans for the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument. Included are topographic maps in reference to headquarter, interpretation, road and trail systems, archaeological base map, general utilities and general development. The information reflects a very comprehensive future endeavor to revamp the monument.


1957-1958 Development Master Plan images and documents (1958)

IMAGE [ID: 371655] H.A. Marsh.

These images are various division master plans for the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument. Included are topographic maps in reference to headquarter, interpretation, road and trail systems, archaeological base map, general utilities and general development. The information reflects a very comprehensive future endeavor to revamp the monument.


The 1959-1960 Transwestern Pipeline: Window Rock to Flagstaff (1964)

DOCUMENT [ID: 374930] Alan P. Olson.

During the winter of 1959-1960, Transwestern Pipeline Inc. and Gulf Interstate Co. constructed a 30 inch transmission pipeline form Texas to the California border. The Museum of Northern Arizona, in agreement with the National Park Service, provided the personnel for archaeological salvage on a portion of the line across northern Arizona. The project was under the overall direction of Charles R. Steen and Zorro A. Bradley of the Southwestern Region Headquarters of the National Park Service in...


1960 Graffiti correspondence (1960)

DOCUMENT [ID: 371604] Natt Dodge.

This document is a memorandum from the Regional Archaeologist of Santa Fe to the Superintendent of Casa Grande Ruins National Monument. It regards the April 1876 historic graffiti of Sheldon Jackson located in the Great House. It mentions a biography of Mr. Jackson written by a Mrs. Dodge.


1964 Archeological Excavations at Tumacacori National Monument, Arizona (1965)

Citation DOCUMENT [ID: 191239] Louis R. Caywood.

This resource is a citation record only, the Center for Digital Antiquity does not have a copy of this document. The information in this record has been migrated into tDAR from the National Archaeological Database Reports Module (NADB-R) and updated. Most NADB-R records consist of a document citation and other metadata but do not have the documents themselves uploaded. If you have a digital copy of the document and would like to have it curated in tDAR, please contact us at comments@tdar.org.

Next
Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America