tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Stone Foundation (Site Type Keyword)

1-13 (13 Records)

Archaeological Intensive Excavation Hassanamesit Woods Property, The Sarah Boston Farmstead (2008)

DOCUMENT Heather Law. Guido Pezzarossi. Stephen Mrozowski.

This final report summarizes the results of archaeological investigations conducted at the Sarah Boston farmstead during the summers of 2006 and 2007. These excavations were carried out in conjunction with the Hassanamesit Woods Management Committee, a collaborative effort between the Andrew Fiske Memorial Center for Archaeological Research at the University of Massachusetts Boston, the Town of Grafton, Massachusetts, and the Nipmuc Tribal Nation. Designed to provide educational and interpretive...


Archaeological Investigations at the Loring-Greenough House (2000)

DOCUMENT Paul J. Mohler. John Kelley. Katherine Howlett.

In June 1999, Katharine Cipolla of The Jamaica Plain Tuesday Club, Inc. contacted The Center for Cultural and Environmental History at the University of Massachusetts Boston to conduct a survey of the property surrounding The Loring Greenough House in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts. Proposed archaeological investigations were prompted by restoration plans designed to enhance the interpretive program for The Loring-Greenough House and its residents covering almost 240 years. The Loring-Greenough...


Archaeological Reconnaissance Survey, The Robinson Property (2003)

DOCUMENT Jennifer L. Bonner. Elizabeth Kiniry.

Hassanamesit, meaning place of small stones and located in present day Grafton, was the third of fourteen Praying Indian towns established by the Reverend John Eliot in the 17th Century to convert Native Americans to Christianity. Established in 1645, by 1671 Hassanamesit contained sixty residents and was the second village, after Natick, to achieve full church status and build a meetinghouse. Based on research by UMass Center for Cultural and Environmental History (CCEH), the 200+ acre Robinson...


An Archaeological Survey of the Santa Cruz River Valley from the Headwaters to the Town of Tubac in Arizona (1941)

DOCUMENT Edward Bridge Danson.

The Santa Cruz River is located in south-central Arizona in the Santa Cruz and Pima Counties. A short stretch of the rivers lies in northern Sonora and forms a big horseshoe bend as the river cuts across the foot of the Patagonia Mountains from the San Rafael Valley into the Santa Cruz Valley proper. In the San Rafael Valley, where the headwaters of the river are found, the Santa Cruz passes few towns or villages. The first one is Lochiel, a small cluster of houses on the International...


Collections Inventory of the Roland Robbins Archaeological Collection from the Hancock-Clarke House, Lexington, Massachusetts (2009)

Citation DOCUMENT Christa Beranek. Katie L. Kosack.

The Hancock-Clarke House in Lexington, Massachusetts, was home to the town’s 18th-century ministers and their families. In order to preserve the house, the Lexington Historical Society purchased it and moved it across the street in 1896. In the 1960s, they acquired the house’s original site and arranged for excavations by Roland Robbins prior to moving the house back to its traditional location. Robbins relocated the foundation of the house and also discovered four previously unknown cellar...


A Cultural Resources Sample Survey of Operation Zones, Barry M. Goldwater Range, Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Arizona (1989)

DOCUMENT Jeffrey H. Altschul. Bruce A. Jones.

From June to September 1989, Statistical Research conducted a non-collection Class II cultural resources survey of 5,200 acres within the R2301W segment of the Barry M. Goldwater Range in Yuma County, Arizona. The areas targeted for survey conformed to topographic surfaces on which archaeologists had found sites in the past. These areas were concentrated in the Baker Peaks and northern Copper Mountain regions as well as the eastern flanks of the Tinajas Altas and Gila Mountain ranges. The...


Cultural Resources Survey of a Portion of Dead Horse Ranch State Park, and a Proposed Alignment for a New Access Road in Yavapai County, Arizona (1991)

DOCUMENT M. Zyniecki. Thomas N. Motsinger.

An archaeological survey of a portion of Dead Horse Ranch State Park, Yavapai County, Arizona, was completed for the Arizona Department of Transportation and Arizona State Parks by SWCA, Inc., Environmental Consultants, under contract to Entranco Engineers, Inc., in July 1990. The project was undertaken for a proposed new access road to the park and a bridge across the Verde River as well as for proposed improvements within the park. Sites AZ N:4:18 (ASM) and AZ N:4:31 (ASM) had been formally...


Dead Horse Ranch State Park: An Archeological Overview (1988)

DOCUMENT Timothy J. Price.

On February 27, 1974, the Arizona State Parks Board adopted a Master Plan for Dead Horse State Ranch. The park covers some 320 acres. Though the proposed development plan has been altered on several occasions, it has included the construction of three man-made lakes for public fishing, the preservation of natural wildlife habitats and archaeological sites with appropriate interpretive programs, as well as the creation of hiking trails to afford recreational opportunities. Camping areas with...


Exploring The Rustic Life, Volume I, Millwood Plantation 1980 (1987)

DOCUMENT Charles E. Orser. Annette M. Nekola. James L. Roark.

Six hypotheses are presented and evaluated using archaeological historical, and bio-cultural data collected from Millwood Plantation and two small satellite sites located within the floodpool of the Richard B. Russell Reservoir currently being constructed. Millwood Plantation, located along the Savannah River in Abbeville County, South Carolina and Elbert County, Georgia, was owned and operated by James Edward Calhoun from 1832 until his death in 1889. After Calhoun's death, a number of tenants...


Millwood Plantation 1980

PROJECT US Army Corps of Engineers Mandatory Center of Expertise for the Curation and Management of Archaeological Collections, St. Louis District. Charles E. Orser. US Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District.

This collection is referred to as "Millwood Plantation 1980.” The name is consistent throughout the finding aid, the file folders, and the box labels. The extent of this collection is twenty and a half (20.5) linear inches. The documents date from 1979 to 1987. The field work began in 1980, which explains the date in the collection name. The range of dates includes administrative documents and the final report. The collection was originally housed in acidic file folders in an acidic cardboard...


Old Fort Beale Arizona Site Steward File (1961)

DOCUMENT P. Long.

This is an Arizona Site Steward file for Old Fort Beale, comprised of six to 13 building foundations, including three hospital structures, located on Bureau of Land Management land. The file consists of an Arizona State Museum archaeological survey form. The earliest dated document is from 1961.


Report on the Archaeological Site Examination of the Entrance Drive, Carriage House, Greenhouse, Vegetable Garden, Flower Garden, and Grapery at Gore Place (2006)

DOCUMENT Leith Smith. Gregory Dubell.

A landscape restoration plan for the 45-acre Gore Place property in Waltham and Watertown, MA, calls for restoration of grounds, gardens and structures to depict and interpret the late eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century occupation of Massachusetts governor and United States senator, Christopher Gore, and his wife, Rebecca. The restoration plan includes archaeological investigation to help identify the location and integrity of six historically documented features on the Gore Place grounds....


The Roland Robbins Archaeological Collection from the Hancock-Clarke House

PROJECT Uploaded by: Christa Beranek

Between 2008 and 2009, the Andrew Fiske Memorial Center for Archaeological Research at the University of Massachusetts Boston cataloged an extensive assemblage of artifacts recovered by Roland Robbins during excavations undertaken at the Hancock-Clarke House in Lexington, Massachusetts during the 1960's. The collection includes nearly 12,000 artifacts from six cellar holes associated with the original house site spanning the seventeenth through nineteenth centuries. The two associated...

Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America