tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Plantation Archaeology at Riviere Aux Chiens, ca 1725-1848

Author(s): Gregory Waselkov ; Bonnie L. Gums

Year: 2000

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

When the French began colonizing the Mobile Bay area early in 1702, one of the first places they explored was a small estuary on the western shore, Riviere aux Chiens or Dog River. A patch of ground near the river's mouth, about twenty feet higher than the adjacent expansive marshes, attracted their attention. There, on the south bank. the expedition's leader, Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville, had his men construct a warehouse as a way station for the crews of small sailing craft that would ferry goods far upstream to the Louisiane colony's first capital at Twenty-seven Mile Buff on the Mobile River. That warehouse was short-lived, but by the mid-1720s that bluff attracted the Rochon family, who constructed a home there. For the next 125 years, the Rochons and their descendants operated a diversified, slave-labor plantation engaged in cattle raising, crop agriculture, and forest products, such as wood and tar. Extensive excavations from 1994 to 1998 investigated a large swath across the middle of this plantation site, in conjunction with state highway bridge replacement. The result is the most thoroughly investigated historic plantation site in the area of Mobile, Alabama


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

Plantation Archaeology at Riviere Aux Chiens, ca 1725-1848, 1st edition. Gregory Waselkov, Bonnie L. Gums. Archaeological Monograph ,7. Mobile, Alabama: University of South Alabama Center for Archaeological Studies. 2000 ( tDAR id: 380941) ; doi:10.6067/XCV81Z442K


Keywords


Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: 1725 to 1848


Spatial Coverage

min long: -88.099; min lat: 30.556 ; max long: -88.077; max lat: 30.572 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Gregory Waselkov ; University of South Alabama Center for Archaeological Studies


Record Identifiers

2007.001(s): Accession Number

1997.001(s): Accession Number

File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
dog-river-monograph-as-pdf.pdf 21.06mb Jan 16, 2013 2:51:35 PM Public
Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America