Archaeological Investigation of the Brookgreen Plantation, South Carolina
Author(s): David Palmer
Brookgreen Plantation was one of the largest and most productive rice plantations in the United States prior to the Civil War. Owner Joshua John Ward held more than 1,000 Africans in slavery on this and his other plantations. The remains of Brookgreen Plantation are now a part of Brookgreen Gardens, an outdoor museum established in 1931 by Anna Hyatt Huntington. Brookgreen Gardens is expanding its public interpretation of the historic plantations on its property, including the lives of enslaved Africans and African Americans. Commencing the fieldwork aspect of the revived partnership between Coastal Carolina University and Brookgreen Gardens, we investigated part of the Brookgreen Plantation during a May 2016 field school. In this poster we share the results of this investigation, which included historic map research, survey with standard shovel test pits and ground-penetrating radar, test units, and the analysis of brick and pottery samples against local clays using pXRF.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
Archaeological Investigation of the Brookgreen Plantation, South Carolina. David Palmer. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Fort Worth, TX. 2017 ( tDAR id: 435580)
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;