A Class III Survey, Archival Research, and Historic Summary of Cementerio Lindo, AZ T:12:279 (ASM), in Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona

Summary

Cementerio Lindo is a historic cemetery that was used by Maricopa County as a burial location between 1890 and 1952. The survey and archival research project was conducted at the request of COP Archaeology Office to determine the nature and extent of cultural resources within Cementerio Lindo prior to proposed improvements to the grounds. The project area is considered a cultural resource, and was assigned the site designation AZ T:12:279 (ASM). Approximately 632 surface grave markers were recorded within the project area as a result of the survey; and more than 3,000 records of burials at Cementerio Lindo were identified during the archival research. The archival research conducted by researchers at Logan Simpson Design, Inc. indicates that the original cemetery was 10 acres in 1890, and that it expanded after 2.19 acres of additional land were acquired in 1930. The current cemetery size is approximately 9.354 acres, approximately 2.8 acres smaller than its maximum size of 12.19 acres.

As a result of the survey and archival research, surface evidence identified over 600 extant grave markers, and historic records indicate that thousands of burials were interred at Cementerio Lindo over the course of its use as a cemetery facility. In addition to the formal grave architecture, two isolated occurrences were found as a result of the survey. These consist of a prehistoric ceramic sherd and a suncolored amethyst glass shard.

Cite this Record

A Class III Survey, Archival Research, and Historic Summary of Cementerio Lindo, AZ T:12:279 (ASM), in Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, 044. Laurene Montero, Korri Turner, Greta Gomez, Mark Hackbarth, Jean Reynolds. 2008 ( tDAR id: 440590) ; doi:10.48512/XCV8440590

This Resource is Part of the Following Collections

Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: 1890 to 1952 (dates of use for the historic cemetary)

Spatial Coverage

min long: -112.114; min lat: 33.414 ; max long: -112.079; max lat: 33.453 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): City of Phoenix Archaeology Office

Project Director(s): Laurene Montero

Prepared By(s): Carter & Burgess, Inc.; Logan Simpson Design, Inc.

Submitted To(s): City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department

Record Identifiers

PGM Project No.(s): 2007-76

Project Report No.(s): 2007-044

Arizona Antiquities Act Permit No.(s): 2007-006bl

Cost Center No.(s): 7450401000

File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
2007-044-FINAL-Cementerio-Lindo_OCR_PDFA.pdf 21.08mb Jun 1, 2008 Feb 1, 2018 1:38:12 PM Confidential
This is the unredacted version of the resource.
2007-044-FINAL-Cementerio-Lindo_OCR_PDFA_Redacted.pdf 30.19mb Mar 30, 2021 10:02:56 AM Public
This is the redacted version of the resource.

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): City of Phoenix Archaeology Office