In Search of La Garita: The Archaeological Discovery of the Spanish Colonial Watch Tower and Powder House

Author(s): Matthew T. Elverson

Year: 2018

Summary

The location of the Spanish Colonial Watch Tower and Powder House, built between 1808-1809, has been confirmed in San Antonio. These structures represented a significant military post that was, through its span of use, occupied by the militaries of Spain, The Republic of Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The United States, and The Confederate States of America. The long use of the structures ended in the late 19th century when the buildings were demolished and their locations were lost. The City of San Antonio, in cooperation with the Texas Historical Commission, utilized crowd-research, archival map and record analysis, ground penetrating radar, and archaeological investigations to confirm the location of the Spanish Colonial site. This research and fieldwork was pursued in conjunction with the City of San Antonio’s upcoming 300th anniversary and the Office of Historic Preservation’s San Antonio Founding Initiative. 

Cite this Record

In Search of La Garita: The Archaeological Discovery of the Spanish Colonial Watch Tower and Powder House. Matthew T. Elverson. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Albuquerque, NM. 2018 ( tDAR id: 441208)

Spatial Coverage

min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Society for Historical Archaeology

Record Identifiers

PaperId(s): 574