Memorials of the old churchyard in Tyrnävä
The old parish of Tyrnävä in coastal Northern Ostrobothnia, Finland, was in use from the 1640s until the 1890s. Two churches have been located on the site and the latest was burned down in arson in 1865. Several old grave memorials, mostly dating to the 19th century, are still present on the site. In 2017, a geophysical survey was performed on the site with ground-penetrating radar and magnetometer in an attempt to precisely locate the forgotten site of the burned church. During these studies, the styles, types, and texts of the grave memorials were systematically documented. Furthermore, photogrammetry will be used to digitally preserve them. A comparative study of the monuments found in the nearby graveyards offers a view into Northern Ostrobothnian memorial traditions.
Cite this Record
Memorials of the old churchyard in Tyrnävä. Riina Veijo, Heidi Lamminsivu, Sanna Lipkin, Aki Hakonen, Tiina M. Väre. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Albuquerque, NM. 2018 ( tDAR id: 441738)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: 19.648; min lat: 59.807 ; max long: 31.582; max lat: 70.089 ;