tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Data Recovery Investigations at Waterford Plantation (38GE550)

Author(s): Inna Burns ; Autumn Morrison

Editor(s): Carol Poplin

Year: 2005

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

"Brockington and Associates, Inc., conducted archaeological data recovery investigations at portions of site 38GE550 in the Allston Bluffs tract, Georgetown County, South Carolina in February through April 2003....These investigations recovered considerable information about the colonial and antebellum occupations of 38GE550. We employed this information to address all of the research questions outlined in the approved Treatment Plan for 38GE550, as well as other issues that the data provided opportunities to examine. Acceptance of this report provides compliance with the requirements of the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) concerning 38GE550 between Overland Road, LLC, or its assigns, the South Carolina Office of Ocean and Coastal Resources Management, and the South Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. These investigation mitigate the effects that the development of the Allston Bluffs subdivision will have on 38GE550. ..."


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

Data Recovery Investigations at Waterford Plantation (38GE550). Inna Burns, Autumn Morrison, Carol Poplin. Mt. Pleasant, SC: Brockington and Associates, Inc. 2005 ( tDAR id: 391229) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8F76DTK


URL: http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/sciaa/


Keywords


Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: 1847 to 1865 (Land owned by family member Robert Francis Withers Allston and wife)

Calendar Date: 1865 to 1869 (Plantation temporarily seized)

Calendar Date: 1861 to 1865 (The American Civil War)

Calendar Date: 1869 to 1870 (Land one again owned by the Allston family)

Calendar Date: 1870 to 1890 (Land owned by John Richardson)

Calendar Date: 1964 to 2005 (Land subdivided and sold to Horry County Land and Improvement Company)

Calendar Date: 1958 to 1964 (Land owned by South Point Corporation)

Calendar Date: 1928 to 1953 (Land owned by Fred W. Smith)

Calendar Date: 1890 to 1928 (Land owned by E. S. Butler and Oliver Brown)

Calendar Date: 1890 to 1890 (Land owned by James H. Fraser and R. M. Barnes)

Calendar Date: 1711 to 1716 (Land granted to Thomas Clark)

Calendar Date: 1716 to 1736 (Land owned by William Cater)

Calendar Date: 1767 to 1767 (Creation of All Saint's Parish which included the project tract)

Calendar Date: 1773 to 1798 (Waterford Plantation owned by Susannah Pawley Graham and her husband David)

Calendar Date: 1798 to 1798 (Land sold due to foreclosure and divided)

Calendar Date: 1736 to 1743 (Land owned by Joseph Allen)

Calendar Date: 1743 to 1773 (Land owned by George Pawley where upon he created Waterford Plantation and several others due to his massive land holdings in the Waccamaw area.)

Calendar Date: 1798 to 1847 (Waterford owned by Benjamin Allston, Sr. and heirs)


Spatial Coverage

min long: -79.437; min lat: 33.204 ; max long: -79.027; max lat: 33.455 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Jonathan Leader ; Barry Coggeshall, III

Contributor(s): Connie Huddleston ; Michael Hendrix ; Inna Burns ; Carol Poplin ; Autumn Morrison ; Charles F. Phillips Jr. ; Patrick Seyvert ; Brent Lansdell ; David Dellenbach ; Brett Davis ; Patrick Morgan ; Mallory L. Chambliss Jr. ; Julie Wilburn-Peeler ; Catherine Runyan ; Allison Moore ; Sarah Islen ; Susannah Munson ; Ed Salo

Field Director(s): Eric D. Sipes

Lab Director(s): Emily Jateff

Principal Investigator(s): Ralph Bailey

Sponsor(s): Overland Road, LLC

Prepared By(s): Brockington and Associates, Inc.


Notes

General Note: "Data recovery investigations at 38GE550 in the Allston Bluffs residential development tract recovered an extensive sample of artifacts and other information from the significant portions of the site. These investigations focused on those portions of the site within the two preservation areas defined by Baluha et al. (2002) [see Figure 2]. Approximately 2,800 m2 of the southern preservation area and 6,775 m2 of the northern preservation area will be disturbed by the construction of the Allston Bluffs housing development. Small portions of each of the two preservation areas at 38GE550 remain preserved within the Allston Bluffs subdivision (see Figures 3 and 9). Approximately 1,350 m2 will be preserved on the southern edge of the existing southern preservation area. This new preservation area will include the location of the former Waterford Plantation overseer’s residence (including Features 601, 602, and 603 at site 38GE550). Approximately 1,125 m2 will be preserved on the western edge of the northern preservation area. This newly proposed preservation area includes the brick and tabby rubble piles that Baluha et al (2002) defined as Features 606 and 607 (see Figures 3 and 9). ..."

Administration Note: The document includes a detailed artifact inventory which lists specific details regarding the ceramics and other diagnostic artifacts found at the site.


File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
waterford-allston-bluffs-final-report.pdf 37.56mb Jun 20, 2013 9:04:52 AM Confidential
redacted-waterford-allston-bluffs-final-report.pdf 32.26mb Jun 20, 2013 10:05:47 AM Public

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): Jonathan Leader

Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America