Preventive excavation in l’Autre Bord, a district of the city of Le Moule (Guadeloupe) destroyed by the 1738 hurricane.
The city of Le Moule is situated in Grande Terre, Guadeloupe, French West Indies. The first inhabitants were settled there by 1680. The parish of Le Moule was established in 1712. The early village was built on the right bank of the mouth of the River d’Audoint. It contained a church, a parade ground and two perpendicular streets oriented according to the axis of the river. The cyclone of 1738 annihilated a part of the village and following the cyclone it was reconstructed on the other bank. The site of the abandoned village was then called l’Autre Bord. In 2007, a preventive excavation of a plot of 700 m² explored the vestiges of one of streets of the early XVIIIth century town, including the vestiges of houses and gardens which lined it.
Cite this Record
Preventive excavation in l’Autre Bord, a district of the city of Le Moule (Guadeloupe) destroyed by the 1738 hurricane.. Thomas ROMON, Fabrice CASAGRANDE, Sandrine DELPECH. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Leicester, England, U.K. 2013 ( tDAR id: 428395)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -4.777; min lat: 41.367 ; max long: 9.553; max lat: 51.091 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Society for Historical Archaeology