Bang Bang! Cannons, Carronades, and the Gun Carriage from the Storm Wreck
Author(s): Chuck T Meide
The Storm Wreck, one of sixteen Loyalist refugee ships from Charleston lost on the St. Augustine Bar on 31 December 1782, has been excavated for six seasons, 2010-2015. In December 2010, a pile of four 4-pdr cannons and two 9-pdr carronades was encountered on the wreck site, where they were seemingly jettisoned in an attempt to refloat the ship after it grounded. Two of these guns were raised in 2011 for conservation and display. The carronade, whose serial number has been found in Carron Company records, was dated 1780 and is believed to be the second oldest specimen to have survived anywhere in the world. During the 2015 season, another long gun was unexpectedly encountered, about 12 m away from the main cannon pile. It was still attached to the partially preserved remains of its gun carriage. This paper presents an overview of these seven guns and the carriage.
Cite this Record
Bang Bang! Cannons, Carronades, and the Gun Carriage from the Storm Wreck. Chuck T Meide. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Washington, D.C. 2016 ( tDAR id: 434984)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;